Thursday, June 29, 2006

Reflections from my cup

 

Did I ever tell you?.....

 How I became a "poor Preacher"?

Dear Gentle reader,

 I had the start of a wonderdful story for you and then It was lost! What shall I do????? Well it's to good to waste so I'll rewrite it and you talk among yourselves and I be back help yourself to jelly donuts and coffee!

 Save me one!

I was raised in an "Irish Catholic home" one where you had a choice to become a priest or a doctor. And since as my mother use to say "Your brother was an only child"   I left the "Church" because it really didn't speak to me. Oh, I went through all the steps I was baptized, confirmed and went to Catholic grade school and High school  but I wasn't really "into church" Like most people , perhaps like you Gentle Reader, the only good thing that came out of me in that time of my life was the fact that when they would have incense I would get sick and throw up all over Sisters shoes!
Just like you I was no more interested in going to church than I was in being a priest or for that matter a doctor! I wanted to be a fireman!
 
Time for a break! Coffee, donut & Flickr
When you prepare you sermons on paper, they say that you are just reading off the paper and not hearing from God. But when you DON'T have paper, they say that you were not prepared!

During the last Sunday service that the visiting pastor was to spend at the church he served for some months, his hat was passed around for a goodwill, farewell offering.

When it returned to the pastor, it was empty. The pastor didn’t flinch. He raised the hat to heaven. "I thank you, Lord, that I got my hat back from this congregation

 Back to my story......

So when my wife wanted to go to church we went to a Baptist Church whose  Pastor was how shall I put it? hmmm? Well let me say that I called him 'Pastor Vanilla'. Pastor Vanilla was a preacher who had 4 sermons and you could set your watch by what Sunday it was The first Sunday it was "Bring in new people" the second was on "you should come to church every time the doors were open" The third was "meatless Sunday" {that is if your were to get any meat from the sermon you would have to bring it from home}
 
Oops time got away from me so we have to take up tomorrow  who turn is it to bring the donuts? (I am so hungry for sweets right now) See you tomorrow when we continue the saga of how I became the poor preacher that you know so well.
Dennis
 

No comments: