Saturday, May 27, 2006

A Gift a lesson



Once in a while dear reader, I find a really good article with a message that deserves to be read and not languish for lack of readership. This is one. The author is a dear saint of God and .... Well just read....
Dennis


RISING OR FALLING ON THE REPUTATION OF CHRIST

Most of us who passionately take the name of Christ Jesus as our freedom, our salvation, and our life have an automatic response to "living the life." Through what He does to sanctify, we begin to model ourselves after a reputation that people often find honorable in a workplace, in a school, or in various circumstances.

At work, amidst a very youthful crowd and immoral environment, I've often been referred to as the "faithful" or "overly polite." There are no vocal Christians to work side by side with who stand on the integrity of their faith. Most at this point know that I am a believer, but tend to avoid asking many questions that might force them to dig a little deeper. My reputation has been built over the past seven months into an image that suggests "Under all circumstances, Jeremy will do the right thing when no one else does. We can count on him." That reputation was tarnished today in a moment's weakness of character.

For those of you who aren't aware, I returned to school last year after 10 years of hit and miss classes. In making such a decision, it put me back into the world of odd jobs and unappealing positions that are necessary to keep an income flowing during my free nights and weekends. So what do I do? I'm a waiter at the Cheesecake Factory about 6-7 shifts per week.

Most of my peers at work have become increasingly frustrated by little things that are often either tedious or inconsequential. I've made it my heart's desire to leave a legacy of encouragement and inspiration in their company. At whatever point that I leave this season of my life, it would be my hope that they would look back at me and remember that in the servitude of an often lowering and degrading role, that I might have been a bright spot in the tedious... a smile in the degrading.

Today, I fell on this legacy.

One of the "forbidden" actions of any server is to question or converse with a guest about the amount of a tip that they received. In fact, it's so obvious of a foolish action that I often speak with trainees about finding peace in knowing that all things balance out in the end. When one tip is low, another rises above what you expected. So don't have expectations (not everyone realizes that we make $3.13/hour without their contribution). Seems simple enough, right?

Today, one of my last tables (5 guests) had been incredibly peaceful as I served them each a variation of lemonade two, three, and four times in refills. They all enjoyed their meals. They never complained. All was comfortable and they even ended on a high note of German Chocolate Cheesecake and a Key Lime Cheesecake.

Then I handed them their bill and ended up risking the termination of my job in a moment of failing reputation.

When I checked back to see if they were ready to run a credit card, the woman handed me her VISA along with a ten dollar bill and asked for me to give change after running her card. Her check was $100.00. Standard Florida tips should range between 18% and 20%, but at the very least, a 10% tip is in the notion of the old fashioned. On any other day, it wouldn't have mattered to me what she left because as mentioned before... it all balances out.

So I ran the credit card and came back with 5 singles and a five dollar bill. As I walked away thanking them for coming in, I noticed that they were beginning to circle around the bill to discuss it. Several minutes later, I noticed that they were ready to get up and one of the ladies who had a walking crutch was struggling to get out of her seat.

"Ma'am, can I help you up?" I asked.

"No, sir, I'm okay. I've got it." She replied.

As it seemed they were okay on their own, I slipped my hand through to the edge of the table to take the credit card slip along with the tip inside. The slip was signed with no tip addition and the tip was $5.00 cash.

(Pause)

Prior to this point, I had been listening to my inner humanity and arrogance saying, "They're lower class. They need this money more than I do. If they leave less than 10%, I'll just give it back to them." For many of my peers, they say these types of things behind closed doors when no guests are listening. They say these things when they're frustrated. They verbalize their irritation.

I'm always the quiet one. I take the hits and stay silent. So this should have been a moment when I said "Thank you" and walked away.

(UnPause)

As they each looked at me looking at the tip, I fell to my own inner immaturity and slipped it back on the table.

"Actually, you can keep this. I don't need it."

"I don't understand."

"Well, a normal tip is at least 10% and if you aren't able to at least leave that, then that's okay, you can hang on to the cash. I don't need it."

Indeed, you ought to be saying to yourself right now what nearly every other server and manager said... "Wow."

The woman went immediately to the general manager and he, in turn, came to me later regarding the possibility that this could lead to abrupt termintation. But his question to me was,

"Why? This isn't who you are."

And others were asking,

"Why would you, of all people, do that? It's not like you."

They were right. And it wasn't "who I am." So why do it? Why fail? Why spend so long building a reputation and drop it in a single moment of arrogance? Why does any believer's reputation stand so high that a single failure would cause everyone around to say, "How could he?"

Because the reputation that we build is not ours we're building. We are representatives of Christ in all that we do and say. In the moment we fall by the wayside in the company of men who have watched us for quite some time... it cuts like a knife into a reputation that is much bigger than we are.

Today I am embarrassed.

Today I am ashamed.

These things I share with you not to suggest that it's okay to fail your reputation, but rather, to say that when we do fall, the only strongarm we have to pull ourselves up on is the strongarm of the Lord. For it is He who actually built our reputation in the world and it is He who leaves the legacy behind among the voices who speak of us when we're gone.

In the days to come, the managers may decide my employment's end or they may decide that my prior reputation earns the favor of a second chance. Either decision will leave me with a deep-rooted reminder that we can either rise or fall on the reputation that precedes us in Christ. When we rise, we shine light on what is already strong. When we fall, we burn out the candle.

My hope is that you may rise this week in Christ... That your fire might shine where others have burned out.

In Christ Alone,

Jeremy Lucas
Founder and Administrator of G.R.A.C.E. Ministries
-------------------------------------
G.R.A.C.E. Discussion Statistics:
-------------------------------------
Registered Users: 174
Total Posts: 4156
-------------------------------------
Handy Links
-------------------------------------
Board Address: http://homeofmercy.com/gracediscussion/index.php

No comments: