Sunday, August 16, 2009

I an incapable of being indifferent

widows-and-children-memorial

 Gentle Reader,

 My question is this "Is America a Christian nation? Or have we moved on to materialism and self interest? " In keeping with my policy to bring topics to make you think outside of the box I present another Christian controversy. (not your normal rub, a dub, dub prayer that so many bring to church) but "real" thought provoking topics that require you to take a stand.

Here is a letter that I got from a dear young woman which permission was given to reproduce. Read on.  

 "I got into an interesting discussion today with one of my senior classmates. During the course of this conversation he learned that I was a widow and a single mom; my son therefore being fatherless. I indicated how tough it has been trying to find male mentors (at least one) for him and it did not seem to be happening at church. He made a comment that sparked an ephiphany for me - we get too wrapped up in the affairs of culture to recognize the needs that are right under our noses.

The ephinany is this: when we talked about God's heart for the widows and fatherless as mentioned in both the old and new testament, I could not help but think perhaps the reason the help has been lacking, particularly in church, is because of the plethora of single parents. Perhaps the church has grown insensitive to not only the need but its responsibility because there is such a high incidence of single parenting that it has become no big deal.

So here are my questions:

1) How does your church fare in this matter?

2) Is there an awareness raised that the church is to pay attention to the needs of the widows and fatherless?

3) How can the church address this need in the context of the high percentage of single parents?

NB: I personally reflect on the tragedy of this, that there are just too many single parents and too many fatherless homes. I also think single parent ministries do much to support the comfort of this phenomenon, when God's ideal design is for a mother and father. But maybe that's just me.

Now then Gentle Reader,

May I add to this, a story. Alexander the Great was reviewing his troops,  (Remember Alexander was the one who conquered the world, and then cried because there was nothing left to conquer) It was told to him that there was a coward in his army (in those days to be a coward was a death sentence) Alexander stood before his vast army and said" I want that coward to step forward," After a long hesitation, one young man about 13 years old inched his way to the front. " What's you name boy" Alexander yelled at the little lad" "Alexander " the boy replied. "Boy, either change your name or change your attitude" Said the world's conquer.

 So my word to you who call yourself Christian is this " Either change your name or change your attitude"

 We are Christs ambassadors here on earth. let's  start acting like it, wouldn't you agree?

Jesus

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world. (James 1:27)

No comments: