Wednesday, February 27, 2008

For Today

Dead end streets!

deadend

Not oft mid busy servings Life's deepest truths are learned; Not oft min noisy strivings The Spirit's voice discerned. Not in life's crowded places, Where jostling care intrude, But, in life's lonely spaces, God speaks in solitude.

Gentle  Reader,

I have been called away will return momentarily... Help yourself to fresh coffee ... but leave that last Irish cream muffin for me. _D

Well now, Marti wanted me to order some vitamin supplements for her (she is unable to take any Rx as the drugs react with her system and leave her so weak she cannot sit up or talk for weeks on end. )

 Now to what I want to share, the "preacher" tells us in the 1st 2 chapters how he has searched for what he calls "the chief Good" by PERSONAL EXPERIMENT. First of all he seeks it by WISDOM in chapter 1 verses 12-18 "And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.
I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I am come to great estate, and have gotten more wisdom than all they that have been before me in Jerusalem: yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge.
And I gave my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also is vexation of spirit.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow."

 But He found that this was striving after true good by or in , natural wisdom was a "vexation of spirit' (literally a striving after wind) remember the movie "Inherit the wind"? There is always something which eludes him (1:15). and with increase knowledge came increased sorrow (1:11) So next he turns to conduct his quest in PLEASURE  OR FOLLY. Chapter 2 verses 1-11. "I said in mine heart, Go to now, I will prove thee with mirth, therefore enjoy pleasure: and, behold, this also is vanity.
I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?
I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life."
  But we find that both physical and aesthetic gratifications alike were "vanity," or emptiness to his soul.... But He finds while wisdom excels folly even as "light excelleth darkness (2:13) but that life itself is vanity in as much as the same event , death overtakes both the wise and the fool- (2;13) His conclusion is " There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God (2:24).
To be continued...

 Love,

Denis   warning-sign

 

No comments: