Wednesday, February 07, 2007

About loss

jesus hug
Gentle Readers,
What has happened to the attitude of loss in association with Christianity and ministry? I myself fled the call of God, for in my mind and heart it meant sacrifice, loss of independence and a submission to the purpose of God over every other thing. This is what I had understood from my years of hearing about the call of God.




From years in the church, from Sunday School to the thousands of messages preached, I understood to obey the call of God meant I would lose everything. And in answering the call I did over time, I offered every relationship and source of pride on the altar of sacrifice and as I suspected they did not survive the fire of God's trying. As a young aspiring minister, I learned what it was like to give my last dollar, to see God give me a twenty. I was reminded the other day of giving my favorite bible away, and the next day I was given a very nice and much more costly bible.




I remember these times of living on the edge of survival, where I was constantly challenge to give it all away... and see that what I ended up with was more than I gave. I don't say this to brag, please understand my purpose. How many times have I given away my last 10, 20, 100 and even 1,000? Then to see the Lord return it to me literally pressed down and running over? I see in my own life and the spirit of things in general, ... let me just personalize this, the idea of Loss has been lost.




The idea of sacrifice has evolved into feeding the cattle and breeding them to have more cows, justifying in our mind that we could be a better blessing with a herd of cattle rather than sacrificing what God is asking.




Reminds me of Saul, when rather than obedience... he saved some... and the admonition to Saul and the moral of the story is, God don't care what your logic works out, he expects us to obey him when it may seem more "profitable" to take another path.




Or Ananias and Sapphira, wanted recognition for an offering, rather than giving all. When the Spirit was asking for sacrifice, they wanted to give out of convinience.... and acting like they were giving it all. It may seem rather harsh for them to die... yet in this, it demonstrates, there are times when half way obedience is not going to cut it.




If we are not careful we will begin to be satisfied with "managing" our affairs while giving God a piece, rather than giving God all and letting him manage His Affairs, our affairs are Gods if we belong to him.




The idea of loss, is an easy thing to lose.




If I had a song file, I would insert here,
I will give you all,
I will give you all,
if all is what you ask of me,
I will not withhold,
and if my sacrifice is less,
than giving you my very best,
let me remember calvary cross and be willing to say yes
Moses refused the wealth and prestige of the world and allowed himself to participate in the suffering and scorn of his people.
When we have reached the place of the Rich Man.... in that we consider building bigger barns and speaking peace and rest to our souls... are we not ensnaring ourselves to a camel that cannot get through the eye of the needle. When Jesus spoke of this, it smote the very mindset of being a Jewish person. The disciples cried out, Can anyone be saved? And Jesus said... With me, All things are possible.




I am en devouring to re dig the wells of thought and consecration that started me on this road of ministry, that I may recapture the Spirit of Ministry that I believe I must have.




Counting those things but loss, that I might gain Christ.... Easier said than done...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Beautiful picture. I enjoy your blog.