Sunday, May 10, 2009

A song to our mothers

Gentle Readers,

 This is the story behind the song,  While not my story  it is a true story told by many and sung by one. 

 In 1999 I worked for nine months at a Christian group home for boys with ADD/ADHD related issues. Shortly after I started working there, I was asked to teach the boys a song they could sing for their mothers on Mother's Day. I knew one Mother's Day song, but it didn't seem to fit the situation, so I looked on the internet for a Mother's Day poem that I thought might work for these boys. I looked for hours but couldn't find anything that I thought would work. Then one of the boys, who knew I was searching for a poem I could make a song out of, handed me a poem he had just finished writing. It didn't take me long to realize that this was exactly what I was looking for. All sixteen boys sang this song to their mothers that Mother's Day, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house! I only wish I had a recording of that event!

One more thing about this song, the words were written by a boy who had been terribly abused (in every sense of the word) and had to be removed from the home of his birth parents. It was written to the mother who adopted him, and also in a sort of a hopeful way to the mother who had allowed him to be abused.

I know a lot of us come from broken homes, and I certainly am no exception to that rule. My mother divorced my dad when I was two, and my sister and I ended up in foster homes for what seemed like an eternity at the time, but probably was only a few mnths. I have some terrible memories from that time in my life, but I was so young, at least they're distant memories. I don't think my mom meant to abandon us, it just sort of happened. Anyway, my dad finally got custody of us, and at the time he was married to a wonderful woman named Maryanne who was very much like the woman in Tom's poem. So if it sounds like I'm singing this from my heart, you kind of know why.

I LOVE YOU MOTHER
words by Tom D.
music by Jack Marti

Love is on my mind.
Sometimes it's hard to find.
But there is someone out there
Who takes the time to show she cares.

She keeps an eye on me
When Satan tries to tempt me.
She cares when I am ill
Even when I go against her will.

She blessed me when I cursed her
Though deep inside it hurt her.
God made mothers from the start
With an understanding heart.

If you're smart you'll love her too
Just the same way she loves you.
I know that in my heart
We will never ever be apart.

She is a wonderful caring woman.
And I'm her greatest fan, that's certain.
She is so full of love,
She is a gift from God above.

I like it when she laughs with me
Because it shows our love will always be.
Mom, you're the kindest person ever made
And our love will never fade.

So don't give up on me
You have a heart that sees through me,
I love you like no other.
I thank God you are my mother.

 Some stories need to be told!

 Love, Denis

No comments: