Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No, Really!

tradtional jewish commentary bible

 

 

Dear Gentle Reader,

When I said that this was the final word I meant it! BUT (there is that infamous but... almost as infamous as that Greek preposition if . Which could mean If and it is true or if and it could be true. We need now to put things in perspective. I must admit that these blog entries did not go as I would have liked. Most read every other word. Some glance and the pictures and move on many never read past the title and some never read past the First grade. Harsh? Well maybe but with more time in grade than most Protestant churches have had pastors I realize that it’s just too easy to be comfortable. So this last post on Job (and It will be the last , [unless God directs otherwise-see everybody answers to an higher authority])

Job has seen himself (unlike many people including Christians) of "small account" against the mighty background of the universe and Divine infinity, and he says "what shall answer thee ?". I lay my hand on my mouth" Job is learning his lesson. He is bowed in confession. But bin reading the first 6 verses of chapter 42 which are the crisis-climax of the whole book are generally misunderstood. Because they attributed to Job instead of being distributed between Job and God. They should be read as follows.

Then Job answered the LORD, and said,

I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee.

Voice from the whirlwind

Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge?

Job

therefore have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not.

Hear, I beseech thee, and I will speak:

Voice of the Whirlwind

I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.

Job

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

The main significance of the speech from the whirlwind: Job was not meant to know the explanation of his sufferings; but God was concerned and sympathetic. The Divine purpose was that Job should rest in God Himself. Apart from explanations and that Job should come to the end of his self-ism and find his all in God! When we see this then the book has a wonderful meaning not only for Job but for ourselves as well.

All these things which we clothe ourselves with mentally and spiritually are now gone. Most people don’t see this and while those of us who call on God should see this, that it is all of God some seem to feel that they have arrived. When in fact Gentle Reader they have not left the station yet.

It is when Job (and us also) as a sincere soul in agony of desire really to know God that God will not deny him. God speaks from the storm. When there is nothing left! There is an overpowering sense of the infinite wisdom, power, holiness and goodness of God. In a way Gentle reader, only those who can understand and have experienced sudden Divine enlightenment at conversion or in some never- to- be- forgotten spiritual crisis. It is nowe that Job sees and understands God as He never before, and he cries out,

I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.

And with this new discovery of God there comes to him, as is inveriably the case , a new knowledge of his own heart. So that he now says,

Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Thank God, Gentle Reader , that we have this insight from heaven who spoke to Job that now has found a better vehicle of expression than that long ago whirwind

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;" [Hebrews Chapter 1 verse 1-3]

Not everything is or has been revealed to us by a long way and yet enough has been given that faith becomes intelligent despite persisting dark problems. If Job could sat it, then we certainly can with far fuller reason " Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him.".

And one last thought for you to take to your heart Gentle reader. The closer you follow God the fewer people will follow you. For the darkness has no place in the Light!

 

 

 

No comments: