Thursday, May 15, 2008

Job Troubles

feast_table

Hungy?

Gentle reader,

Like most men (even as a little boy) my eyes are always bigger than my stomach! ( All in Unison- "Duh, Denis we already knew that!" ).

Well as per usual I manage to take on more that one ordinary man can handle. This blog is my main squeeze as it were . The web site Http://www.studiesinscripture.bravehost.com takes care of it self as I have many more qualified people who look in from time to time ands add or move around or delete studies. That is "Scripture Institute" where you can get a full course meal for free! On the other side of the world is a mirror site called Heart to Heart http://parsontoperson.blogspot.com just in case you missed something here (but beware Gentle Reader not everything you read here is always there and vice versa) Then I have started a blog on a another site called http://www.mychurch.org where you can study with me in the book of Revelation or the Apocalypse. Which deals with what is called Eschatology or the study of future things sometimes it is considered the "End times studies " or as I like to say "What in the world will happen next" I have also other writings on the "Net" but to be truthful Gentle Reader" not having a church or a place to speak and I have a lot of time to think (that a "dangerous combination") . You’re my favorite place to come where one can let their down and sit back have a cup of coffee , an Irish cream cheese muffin and just talk about whatever comes to mind.

Here today we are trying currently to get a hold of the book of Job the Bibles version of the popular book "Why do bad things happen to good people?" We are now looking at a young man called Elihu (a very smart young man I might add. Elihu accepts Job’s position that any true wisdom comes from man comes by inspiration from God, and he is not convinced that wisdom is not given only to the aged "It is not the great that are wise, Nor the aged that understand justice." (Job 32:9). There is "a spirit in man" capable of receiving inspiration verse 8 " But there is a spirit in man, And the breath of the Almighty giveth them understanding." and Ehihu believes that he himself is now receiving such inspiration "The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life. (Chapter 33:4) [Also see 36:2-4] "Suffer me a little, and I will show thee; For I have yet somewhat to say on God`s behalf.

I will fetch my knowledge from afar, And will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.

For truly my words are not false: One that is perfect in knowledge is with thee." But more than this, Elihu believes that he is so inspired as to fulfil job’s longing for a daysman = umpire, arbiter, or mediator ( a daysman is one who speaks on another’s behalf) between God and himself, to whom he could set out his case. In pathetic desperation job had lamented the lack of such a daysman (Chapter 9:33) and his own inability to gain an interview with God "My words [shall utter] the uprightness of my heart; And that which my lips know they shall speak sincerely.

The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life.

If thou canst, answer thou me; Set [thy words] in order before me, stand forth.

Behold, I am toward God even as thou art: I also am formed out of the clay.

Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, Neither shall my pressure be heavy upon thee. (Chapter 33:3-7) and in fact Job’s last words before Elihu breaks in are (Chapter 31: 35-37) "Oh that I had one to hear me! (Lo, here is my signature, let the Almighty answer me); And [that I had] the indictment which mine adversary hath written!

Surely I would carry it upon my shoulder; I would bind it unto me as a crown:

I would declare unto him the number of my steps; As a prince would I go near unto him."

Gentle reader, I feel we must stop at this point (you have other things to do and besides before we look at Elihu’s remarkable speech I want you to consider this "What if God were to send down someone to explain why things are going so bad for you,? Would you listen to him or her? Or would you believe that they had been sent by God the ELOHIM = Creator of heaven and earth. What would you do? I ask you this because as the old Insurance sales pitch goes "Buy or don’t buy but just listen!"

Till next time

Love,

Denis

J.R. O'Callaghan

No comments: