Thursday, April 13, 2006

Scare the preacher

Remember when you said ''I'll go to church when hell freezes over"?

corcomroe-abbey



Gentle family,


Marti, and I were talking last night after viewing a stirring episode of Law and Order followed by a theologian on the Catholic channal ETWN [ Eternal Word Television Network ] and Marti turned to me, pointed her finger ( you know the one I mean and said in her best declarative sentence voice "He's just like you"!

To which I replied "I AM NOT" [ whispering, you can tell I was not listening or at best I would have kept my mounth shout]

I drew myself up to all of three feet ( remenber I was sitting down at the time) and said "I am a Biblicial Gestalt teacher" Now I was pretty sure I knew what that meant I had received notice earlier that I would be receiving the Doctor of Biblical Philology degree [ The study of linguistics]

Well, I know when I use a word like [Gestalt] I will stir up controversy that I am exercising my Spiritual gift of harrassment!

"Whats that" she asks half afraid I might actually answer and we're off on a marathon explaination ( just like this one). You see Gentle reader, Preachers are like fire horses or race horses. They hear a bell and that sends them running for all their worth.

"Well' I said, "Gestult teaching is like ( pausing for dramatic effect, careful to remember that I was sitting down and could not fall off the sofa) Lasagna!"

I stop here for a sip of wonderful Irish coffee and to enjoy those who are allready saying "I knew I should have not stayed in bed but gone to church"

You see there are layers in Lasagna one layer does not make a Lasagna not two but several [ 7 I think?] "You see Gestault teaching has layers one doesn't make it complete but several one on top of another on top of another. What may seen like a mess becomes when eaten a wonderful taste delight! [As I hope my teaching becomes like Lasagna]

Take for example the Book of Kells at Trinity College in Dublin.






The Book of Kells is not simply a religious manuscript. True, it contains the four gospels of Mark, Mathew, Luke and John and that was the sole original purpose of the book. But its age and its design, although damaged, allow us a glorious glimpse into the art and style of ancient Ireland. The book is, quite simply, considered a crowning glory of the Celtic art form, and possibly one of the most important treasures of Western Europe

What appears to be simple decoration is in fact the Gospel of the New Testament





Which reminds me of Why God Never Received Tenure at Any University

He had only one major publication.
It was in Hebrew.
It had no references.
It wasn't published in a refereed journal.
Some even doubt he wrote it himself.
It may be true that he created the world, but what has he done since then?
His cooperative efforts have been quite limited.
The scientific community has had a hard time replicating his results.
He never applied to the Ethics Board for permission to use human subjects.
When one experiment went awry he tried to cover it up by drowning the subjects.
When subjects didn't behave as predicted, he deleted them from the sample.
He rarely came to class, just told students to read the Book.
Some say he had his son teach the class.
He expelled his first two students for learning.
Although there were only ten requirements, most students failed his tests.
His office hours were infrequent and usually held on a mountain top.
Now then Gentle Reader, don't you wish you had gone to church?

Love,

Denis

No comments: